Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply?
The Achiever Programme is open to students currently undertaking tertiary studies (including university, polytechnic and TAFE students). in Business, Commerce or Accounting in either Australia or New Zealand. The Achiever Programme is open to students at any stage of their tertiary studies, including undergraduate and post-graduate studies.
How long do achiever placements run for?
Student placements may run from 3 - 12 weeks between November 2019 - March 2020. Placement periods may vary based on both employer needs and student availability.
Do I get to choose what employer I want to apply for?
No, you will not be able to apply or request for a specific employer. You will be considered for all employer roles offered in your region based on your suitability. Further down the selection process, some candidates will be provided with the opportunity to meet potential employers, and if successful in the one-on-one interview, may receive a placement offer.
What steps are involved in applying?
There are several steps to the application process including:
- online form application submission
- completing a series of psychometric tests through the Revelian system,
- video interviewing through the Sonru system,
- assessment centres or phone interview (depending on your state/region) and
- a one-on-one interview with potential employers.
It is important that you understand that Chartered Accountants ANZ is under no obligation to progress you through any or all of these application stages.
Do I get paid while on placement?
Yes. The salary for student placements is at the discretion of employers and does vary firm to firm.
Can I apply multiple times?
No, applications are strictly limited to one per candidate.
When do applications open?
Student applications open 29 July 2019.
When do applications close?
Student applications close 11 August 2019 at 11:59 PM (AEST).
Who do I contact for further information?
Please submit any additional queries via the You Unlimited Contact Us page.
Can I apply for multiple regions?
No. Students should apply for the region they will be residing in during their summer break.
What do I need to apply?
Students will need the following to apply:
- academic transcript (unofficial transcripts will be accepted in circumstances where official transcripts are not available)
- International students will also need to provide English language proficiency test results*
*International students will require a minimum overall score as follows; IELTS (Academic) 7.0, PTE 65, TOEFL 94 or CAE 185. You should have undertaken the English language proficiency test within 3 years from the submission of your application. Please have your results ready in advance of your application submission so that you do not miss any application deadlines.
Will I need a cover letter
No. To apply for the 2019 Achiever Programme you will not need a cover letter.
Will I receive a job description for my placement?
No. You will not receive a job description for your placement, however an indication of what to expect and the type of work you will be doing will be given to you if you are successfully placed with an employer.
Who can I ask if I have any concerns or issues with my placement?
If you have any concerns during your placement period, please raise these as soon as possible with Chartered Accountants ANZ. Contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I need working rights in Australia/New Zealand to participate?
Yes. Depending on your region, you will need to have the right to work in Australia or New Zealand for a minimum of 20 hours per week. If you are an international student, you will need to provide proof of your English language proficiency (please see above FAQ - What do I need to apply?)
How do I access technical support during the application process if I need it?
For any technical issues you encounter during the recruitment process you can use the following support channels:
- For application process and psychometric testing support (Revelian) - please use the chat support on the Revelian website or raise a support ticket at https://app.revelian.com/contact.cfm?sctID=2&showContactForm=1
- For video interview support (Sonru) - please either use the 24/7 live chat support on the Sonru platform or email email@example.com
What are the technical requirements needed to complete the application process, including psychometric testing and video interviewing?
For the application process and the psychometric testing, please visit:
For video interviewing, please visit:
What happens if I can't complete my placement?
If you cannot complete your placement, or the dates for your availability change, please contact Chartered Accountants ANZ as soon as possible on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is there a dress code?
You will be expected to dress professionally during your placement. In general, you should ensure your clothes are clean and pressed/ironed. If you are unsure about how to dress in your work environment, speak to your manager or request a copy of your firm's dress code policy.
Do I get course credit?
This is tertiary institution specific. Check with your local Careers Engagement team to see if your specific placement counts towards course credit.
What kind of work can I expect to do
The type of work you may be engaged in involves:
- Accounting experience that exposes you to the importance of accuracy and quality of work, and the use of software
- Interpersonal communication skill development which helps you understand the importance of client/customer service
- Observing activities which gives you first hand exposure to the type of work undertaken at more senior levels
- Attending meetings to discuss career paths, study and work requirements
- Rotation activities through various divisions to gain an understanding of the diversity of work performed
Will I be notified if I don't proceed to the next stage?
Yes. At the end of each stage of the process, we will notify you if you have been successful or unsuccessful to progress to the next stage. Where possible, we will also provide you with feedback on your performance.
Which state/region will complete a phone interview and which will do an assessment centre?
Phone interviews will only be completed in the regions of Tasmania, Wellington and Christchurch. Assessment Centres will only be completed in the regions of NSW, VIC, QLD, WA, SA, ACT and Auckland.
What are the key dates for the 2019 Achiever Programme?
The key dates** for each stage of the recruitment process are as follows:
- Applications open: 29 July 2019
- Applications close: 11 August at 11:59PM (AEST)
- Psychometric testing: 29 July - 16 August
- Video interviews close: 18 August at 11:59PM (AEST)
- Phone interviews: 2 September - 6 September (only conducted in the following regions: Christchurch, Northern Territory, Tasmania & Wellington)
- Assessment centres: 30 August - 6 September (only conducted in the following regions: ACT, Auckland, NSW, QLD, SA, VIC & WA)
- Final interviews with employers: 16 September - 27 September.
Please note: you will have 3 days to complete your psychometric testing from the date you receive confirmation of your approved application from us. You will receive this email confirmation between 29 July and 12 August.
** These dates are indicative only and may be changed at Chartered Accountants ANZ's sole discretion.