The Chartered Accountants Program (CA Program) has been designed to turn you into a difference maker. This dynamic education program will help to equip you with the unique perspective, insight and diverse business, finance and leadership skills required to approach complex business challenges in a uniquely effective and ethical way.
Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (Chartered Accountants ANZ), with the support of Eastland Group, Coates Associates Ltd, Graham & Dobson Ltd and Flavell and Chamberlain Limited, have created the Gisborne Region Financial Assistance Fund to provide financial assistance to accounting students.
The scholarship will provide up to $4,500 across all successful applicants.
A pathway to success
In 2017, Bayley Taylor-Law was one of the two top accounting students to be awarded the Gisborne East Coast Financial Assistance fund.
An opportunity to take up an internship at BDO for an IT system integration project in December 2014, was the start of a journey of self-discovery that introduced Bayley to the world of accounting and business advisory.
What initially started out as a three week project, was then extended to three months, and the valuable insights and experience learnt during this time saw Bayley enrolling in a Bachelor of Business Studies degree at EIT Tairāwhiti.
Being involved within a close-knit team and working alongside a key group of clients has indeed been some of the most enjoyable parts of Bayley's current role as a Commercial Accountant at BDO Gisborne.
Bayley says receiving the financial support through the Gisborne East Coast Financial Assistance fund was a huge help and an opportunity she will always be extremely grateful for receiving.
The financial assistance allowed Bayley to dedicate her efforts and time on her studies rather than focusing on the stress of how the course related costs associated of studying were going to be met. Having an understanding employer like BDO Gisborne (https://www.bdo.nz/en-nz/bdo-gisborne) that encouraged flexible working hours around study commitments, certainly made Bayley feel fully supported on all levels.
What is Bayley's advice to students looking at a career in accounting?
Accounting is a career with amazing opportunities and so many different pathways to explore. With technology constantly evolving, there are more chances for people to take on the role of business advisory rather than just completing annual accounts and tax returns, which is certainly an exciting future for accountants.
To be eligible for the Gisborne East Cost Financial Assistance Fund you must:
- Be currently studying or have a demonstratable intention to study towards a degree designed to fulfil the academic requirements for entry into Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand as a Chartered Accountant or Accounting Technician.
- Be able to demonstrate affiliation with the Gisborne/East Coast region.
- Complete a full application and provide supporting documentation as required by the application process.
- Be seen as a contributor to school life and a positive person of the Gisborne/East Coast community.
- Request an application form through the link below.
- Email your completed application form, along with all required supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Thursday 31 October.